Sunday, July 16, 2006

Random Rant From the MRT

"Moving People, Enhancing Lives."

That's SMRT's slogan. I was on my way to AMK to meet Chow and I saw this on the ad for the new Dhoby Xchange. It led me to think, "Did MRTs really enhance lives?"

I remember a time when the MRT ended at Yishun. That's my stop, by the way.. There was no Sembawang, Woodlands. I'm not even sure there was a Jurong East. There was a time I don't really remember when Northpoint wasn't even built, and everything was just a green field. Long time ago, that was.

Northpoint used to have a 2-storied Toys R Us. We used to go there often. At least in my mind we did. There were lego and the usual toys on the first level, then there were plastic houses and bicycles and all the things we wished we could have on the top level.

There's no Toys R Us now. Only Popular and Time Zone in its place. I don't even go to Northpoint all that often anymore. The MRT expanded, of course. Even to places where there are no people to ride in it. Perhaps the government is boosting Government Spending to create our 6%s each year. Circle line is coming soon! 2008, I heard. It'd pass near RJC and RI. Gotta ride it. I think it's coming up near Big Macs too. Hmm... Maybe one day all we would be riding are MRTs.

Moving People indeed! Though I don't feel enhanced. How about a pair of bionic arms for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
This blog is best viewed in Firefox 3.6 with 1024x768 screen resolution.