Monday, November 01, 2010

Breakups.

Everyone around me seems to be breaking up. First there was X who is still living in denial everday, thinking that the boyfriend still has some feelings for her. Then there's Y who told me her boyfriend broke up with her yesterday. If I count all the peripheral ones happening around me, the number will easily go up to 5 or 6.

Why is everyone breaking up? Is it really because they weren't meant to be together, or they discovered something in their counterpart that they could not tolerate? Being together is a choice. And when one party decides to withdraw his love, for whatever reason, there is often no way the 2 can pick up the pieces. Perhaps breakups happen because people don't think of the gravity of being in a relationship. How many people rush headlong into the 'love' they imagined because they couldn't stand to be alone? Somehow love has been twisted into something that is used to satisfy one's own needa instead of a self-sacrificial one like it's supposed it be.

Every break up puts me down a little because it makes me think that the ideal love or world that I grew up in could not possibly exist. Every break up wakes me up a little because I realise that relationships are not something to be taken for granted - we have to work continuously at it. Every break up surprises me less, because I guess anything can happen to anyone, even if everyone thinks that your love is like solid rock. Only the two know the truth, and even then, that's 2 versions of one truth.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:32 AM

    still makes me cry. sian and btw, thanks ah. that was totally the nicest thing to say

    ReplyDelete

 
This blog is best viewed in Firefox 3.6 with 1024x768 screen resolution.