Saturday, February 27, 2010

Study + Shopping.

Kai's attempt at wearing a sundress

The day started off with me waking up at about 8.45 a.m. when piano lesson starts at 9 a.m. As you can imagine, I rushed out of the house and got there 5 minutes late. The original plan was to wake up at 7 so that I will actually have enough time to practise before I actually go for the lesson.. Too bad! Ended up practising in the lesson itself and getting complained at again =/

Today was actually quite busy and I was practically rushing from place to place. Right after piano lessons came Biz Law tutorial that was rescheduled because the tutor had to go to hospital on Thursday. Some of them were asking if they could sue him for a breach of contract since there was no variation clause. lol! Frankly, Biz Law is one of my better liked subjects. I guess it's because I always wanted to do law before I got told that I am not good enough for it. -shrugs- It's interesting nonetheless, and I am doing it without the pressure of what the Law students are facing. So no complaints!

Right after Biz Law was the GCube Group Meeting over at the Fellowship of Evangelical Students (FES) office in Bugis. We talked about the 7 tenets of Modern Enlightenment today.
  1. Supremacy of Reason
  2. Subject-Object Dichotomy
  3. Elimination of Teleological Purpose
  4. Distinction between Facts and Values
  5. Optimism in Progress
  6. All Problems Are Solvable in Principle
  7. Humans are Emancipated and Autonomous Individuals
To actually discuss all of these points would actually take 3 hours. Trust me, I just discussed it with a whole class just now. So I shall just talk about what my takeaways were.

The lesson made me realise that a lot of the mindsets that we have right now, and that we take for granted, like how Science is placed above Religion, and how we view Scientific Fact as Truth, are actually products of the Modern Enlightenment. And these suppositions need not necessarily be true!

The course that I am currently studying now on Einstein's Relativity and Quantum Mechanics actually disproves the myth that Scientific Fact is the ultimate and unchangeable truth. Firstly, what Newton establishes as the Law of Gravity is replaced by Einstein's more wholistic Theory of Relativity which has been proven to explain more phenomena. Subsequently, this Theory of Relativity causes its own downfall by predicting the existence of Singularity - that is the possibility that everything can exist at a single point, such as is the case in a black hole when spacetime is warped.

Then Quantum Mechanics gets thrown into the picture and we realise that very small particles can in fact, exist in the same space. Also, we realise that the observer, that we once thought to be neutral and independent as what Subject-Object Dichotomy postulates actually affects the system as in the famous example of Schrödinger's Cat.

So now we are actually beginning to realise that a lot of the things that we take for granted might not be true after all. We are not able to be independent of nature, as Global Warming has been proving to use these years. Not all things are solvable as demonstrated in Quantum Physics.

I think I could go on about every single point and bore you to death, but I think I shall stop here. The greatest thing that I took away today was actually the fact that we would not be able to know absolute truth. Truth belongs to God and we can only catch a glimpse of it. It is also very exciting to know that we are part and parcel of history and how we are now is actually affected by what happened in the past. It would be egotistical to think that we can be totally autonomous of anything for we are always bound by ourselves.

I wonder if we would be able to look back at this time in the future like how we looked back on the 400 years of silence to see God's hand at work here as well. But I guess that is something only time can tell us.

ANYWAYS! Back to my day.

So after the brain draining GCube, I went out with Kai to Bugis Junction for some shopping. I was trying to look for a new backpack while she.. was looking at shoes? We ended up spending most of the time looking at shoes. LOL. But hey, it was FUN!

Ate at Thai Express and took a whole bunch of photos =) We seriously need to hang out more!

2 comments:

  1. what do you mean by "attempt", huh? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attempt because she didn't think she looked good in it.

    ReplyDelete

 
This blog is best viewed in Firefox 3.6 with 1024x768 screen resolution.