Friday, February 26, 2010

Bibliophilia.


I went back to the Hullett Memorial Library back at RI with Chow today.

I was a librarian some 6 years back and it is always heartening to go back to the HML to find everything just the way it was. There is something wonderful about the ambience and smell of the place that calms you, together with Kevin Kern forever playing in the background.. Part of the reason why I love reading books is also because of the beautiful atmosphere of the library.

It is pretty amazing how Ms Many still remembers my name. I think she, together with Mrs Yap, could possibly the only two people left in RI who remember me. After all, it's been 6 years.

News from Mrs Yap is that they are thinking of usurping the Shaw Foundation Ceremonial Hall to change HML into a 3-storey library. That's all fine and well, but I really hope that they could somehow preserve the basement as it is. Look at how RI turned out after all the renovations. Frankly, I preferred it when it was still red-bricked and other-worldly. Right now, RI feels like an industrial estate with only green and white everywhere.. EEKS!

Here's some reminiscing of the old times where we used to do counter duty. In fact, we did help out for a while in the counter today. How cool is that?! Ahh, memories!
Return Stamps!

Records of our visits to the library. Rich obviously wrote for all of us!

Anyways, our visit coincided with the Swimming Carnival, so we managed to pop by the swimming complex to visit some of the teachers. I was pleasantly surprised that Mr Tan Puay Hock remembered that I was from Chinese Drama. Wow. As usual, Chow was more recognisable but Ms Tang did spot us and talk to us for a bit =)

You know, you really cannot deny that RI gives an excellent education.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
This blog is best viewed in Firefox 3.6 with 1024x768 screen resolution.