Tuesday, March 25, 2008

the most important thing.

I am currently reading The Happy Prince and Other Reads by Oscar Wilde. If you are a constant reader of my blog, or perhaps more of a loyal and long-time reader, you would remember me mentioning The Picture of Dorian Gray in this entry.

The Happy Prince and Other Reads is a compilation of Wilde's short stories written for others. It has been a good read so far. The stories show the idealism which Oscar Wilde has that is much similar to mine. We would all like to think of how perfect and beautiful the world is, or how good others are, and yet, we are often disappointed. Wilde shows this through his many satires which shows the irony in the unequal value put on relationships by different individuals, or perhaps the different ways people see the same relationship.

The question I had to ask myself was, "Have I misjudged the good in this world and is it bad to begin with or should I just have more faith in us?"

It is always easy to get disenchanted. After all, it is the easier thing to do. Look at the oil prices and see the economy collapsing; look at hot bods and think how fat you look; look at good grades and think how stupid you are. It's so easy. By thinking that, you wouldn't have to work. You can indulge in that self pity and cease to do anything.

Yet the more difficult thing is to evaluate the situation and make the changes that are necessary to make things work. To look of alternative sources of energy; to exercise; to study harder than you have before. That is hard. There is a spirit of inactivity we have to overcome. The question is, are you doing your best?

Some say that I am a cynic, yet in everything I do, I try my best. What I have found is that I am not the smartest person in the world, not the fastest kayaker, not the handsomest man, not even the funniest dude. Yet I can gladly say that I have done my best in what I do. I might not be comfortable with who I am at times, but I start off everything I do with an intention to do it better.

That, in my opinion, is the most important thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
This blog is best viewed in Firefox 3.6 with 1024x768 screen resolution.