Monday, March 24, 2008

A Letter to Boss Concerning My Testimonial

Dear Sir,

You have asked me for the reasons as to why I wanted to get into the Law Course, and my various achievements in the Army and in JC.

I entered the SAF on 13th January, 2007. After BMT, I was posted into SISPEC Juliet Company in March 2007. After spending 3 wonderful months in Basic Section Leader Course, I was one of the select few chosen to "cross over" to Officer Cadet School because they deemed us to have the right leadership qualities. I did so in May 2007.

Life in Service Term in Foxtrot Wing was awkward as I had to contend with the cadets who were there much longer than us. They felt threatened and hostile because we were a raw bunch of greenhorns freshly out of SISPEC. It was only when I entered Professional Term in June 2007 in the Logistics Officer Cadet Course, when I finally found my footing.

It was the 5th LOCC that gave me the confidence in my style of leadership - leadership by example. It was also 5th LOCC that taught me all that I needed to know to become a good Logistics Officer i.e. the skills of my trade. I felt that it was also in Pro Term that my character was developed and lasting friendships were forged.

It was also in the duration of my Officer Cadet Course and the time while I am an Officer that I was more convinced of my desire to become a Lawyer. I was always interested in the area of Philosophy and Jurisprudence, or the Philosophy of Law, particularly intrigued me. It was interesting to observe how we came to give ourselves rules to govern our society over time, and how different schools of thought had influenced the formation of our Legal System. It was in the Army, under the regimentation and discipline that I also began to see how Law is so real in our lives.

Since I was in JC, I wanted to be a lawyer. I was always more interested in the Arts than the Sciences, and found debating and arguments to be a source of great mental stimulation. With my background of Chinese Drama, I am not afraid to be loud and make statements in things I believe in. Perhaps what also influenced me to be interested in Law was also my involvement in the Singapore Boys Brigade since Secondary School, and throughout JC. As a Christian, I believe that God led me down this path and the Law was handed down for generations, and is something worth upholding.

As a competitive kayaker in JC, I also learnt the importance of perseverance. I believe this to be able to help me get through the Law course as it would take one with a definite goal and perseverance to endure the long hours and sleepless nights demanded by the course.

My ultimate ambition is to become a corporate lawyer. This is so that I can be exposed to as many industries as possible and get to learn as many things as I can. As I am more of a people person, I also believe that corporate law would suit me better as it requires one to interact with others to a large extent.

Therefore, it is my great hope that I will be able to enter into a course of Law in NUS for my University education.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
This blog is best viewed in Firefox 3.6 with 1024x768 screen resolution.