Friday, November 20, 2009

Reminded.



I just came back from my duty for Coffee@Biz. We had the good fortune of Prof Hum stopping by to talk to us for a bit and here are some of my takeaways. Inspiration for mugging =D

"Steal time away from the time wasted"

He was basically talking about how grades are not everything, even though it is important to get you to where you want to be. Grades get us to the door, but it is us and our experiences that get us through it. And how do we balance study with our extra activities? By using the time we could have wasted. Like all the time I have been spending on Facebook or time that has been spent sleeping.

Sounds like a wake-up call to me. I got reminded of what David Lehman talked about during the Zoe Film Fest. Idealistic as it may seem, these are really the most important things in life. Altruism? Perhaps. But should we really waste our life being focused on such temporal things as grades?

Prof Hum also recommended a book which I googled to be "Good Value: Reflections on Money, Morality and an Uncertain World" by Mr Stephen Green, the Chairman of HSBC. It is supposed to be a book on how Capitalism in itself can be used as a tool for good and how morality still has a place in our society that's increasingly materialistic. A good read if I ever find the time, no doubt.

Altogether fruitful!! Now back to Marketing Environment. =DD

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
This blog is best viewed in Firefox 3.6 with 1024x768 screen resolution.