Saturday, April 19, 2008

live well.

Something really dramatic happened yesterday at G4 Branch cohesion dinner, or as what G4 would like to put it, "just dinner". RQ was chatting happily to us when she suddenly felt numbness in her back which eventually spread to the left side of her face and the arm. Her face contorted with pain as she grasped her forehead in anguish. Ahhhhh....

After a lot of massaging for her, she was better. We called the ambulance and sent her to the hospital just to make sure she was alright. You know, that was the first time I really saw paramedics in action. There were many times when I saw them in a distance, pushing some old lady into the ambulance but never really this up close. I was kind of scared that something serious would have happened too...

Anyways, I went down to NUH in G4's car to find out how she was. Turns out that even in A&E, you would have to wait for 4 hours before you even get to see the doctor. If I were having a mild stroke that was not detected (as what this case might be), I would have died. Isn't there any way they can speed up the process? Doctors of the future, think about this! This is supposed to be the frontline we are talking about here man!

We waited all the way from 6.30pm to about 10.30pm for her to be warded for observation. So far her ECG was alright, and the doctor said that there was nothing perceivably wrong with her, but they just wanted to keep her there for some observation since that was the third of the same case that day. I hope that everything is alright!! Life without RQ in QM branch would be a nightmare...

On a side note, NUH has a horrible structure. It takes more than 20 mins to get from the A&E to the patient wards at Kent Ridge Wing 2. Couldn't they just have a central atrium for people to find their way instead of winding in and out of everywhere? Grrr...

It also struck me in this episode how as people we can be so "cool" or just nonchalant about others. I guess that as I grow up, I will become like that too... losing all the concern for others, only caring about myself. Is there any way to escape that? I certainly hope so..

I am also reminded that anything can happen at any time, and that each every little thing is precious. Treasure the people around you and love them! For none of us know the time and day... I know it's cliché but really. So to everyone who knows me, know that I love you okae! Hahas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
This blog is best viewed in Firefox 3.6 with 1024x768 screen resolution.