Sunday, February 18, 2007

chinese new year blues.

This year is slightly more pathetic than the last. A downward spiral, I think.

We didn't go visiting with grandma and my aunties. I guess things have become quite different since grandpa died. Who would have known that his death would suck the life out of my paternal extended family?

The usual talk of why my youngest uncle didn't come for reunion dinner was brought up again. Kinda happens once a year. The family comes together to lament his absence and ponder upon the reason as to why he never came back.

The story goes like this: he left my grandparents to go live on his own after he got a stable job and income. Off he goes to become some engineering consultant (I'm not too clear on the details). Normally he only comes back during reunion dinner. Even then, he would not really mix with us, always stashing himself away in a room.

Then my grandpa died...

My uncle came back, of course.. we thought it was for good. He was pretty chummy with us, started really talking and interacting with us after so many years..

Then he vanished.

Refused all calls we tried to make, ignored smses, etc.

God only knows what he's doing now.

Anyways, also because of my grandfather's death, we found no point in visiting the other uncles and grandpeople.. It was just too.. pointless. Boring actually.. That coupled with the fact that they have nothing much to talk to us about anymore now that my grandpa died.

Strange though.. it has been 5 years since his demise. We are still feeling the impact. In fact, it seems to be getting worse. Hmm...



On another note, I still managed to get some angbao money from my maternal side!

The aunties and uncles and cousins all came visiting my auntie's house and so it was really crowded. Hmm.. I must say, I was quite intimidated by the crowd. Not a crowd person, me.

Saw loads of people I don't know actually.. Nephews and nieces I never knew I had. Hahas..

Oh wells.. blame me for being an idiot on details..


I managed to win a dollar from mahjong too! Not significant, but good enough practice for tomorrow night. Hahas..

Other than that, there's nothing much. Uneventful year, it seems.. I'm starting to miss Tekong. There's nothing to do in Singapore! Even Orchard Road is closed. Haix. Starting to feel the emptiness of being in NS and having no aim in life but be a soldier.

But I said I would be a good soldier! And so I will.

Just hope tomorrow brings more excitement. HOME!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
This blog is best viewed in Firefox 3.6 with 1024x768 screen resolution.